A Brief History of Christian Brothers College Manly formed a football team in 1934 for the Old Boys of the school. It was based on the cricket team which had been playing for some years. Brother Gygar one of the teachers at the school was the chief instigator and mentor. Very few of the original team are still living. We have been unable to discover when the team was formalised as a club. It played Rugby Union until 1942 during which time it won Manly competitions and was state junior champions in 1938. In 1943 the switch was made to Rugby League and Brothers won the U16 1943 and 1944. Reub Hudson the former President of Manly Warrringah Football Club was a member of these sides.
In 1944 and 1945 quite a number of our players (about half the team) were in the first Manly winning Presidents Cup Team for 1946. As a result, Manly entered the senior competition in 1947. The other half of the team were Freshwater players who wore maroon and white, thus the origin of the Manly colours maroon and white. The colours of Brothers sides were chosed to be cerise and blue. They were chosen by Leo Worthington because his father attended St Josephs College. Leo Worthingtons brother, Tony, designed the original Christian Brothers badge based on the Manly Rugby Club badge.
Over the years Brothers have won almost every competition and trophy in the Junior League. Our best year was 1969 when we had 21 teams. We also had 20 teams in 1970 and 1973. In 1958 we won our first premiership since 1947. We have won at least one every year since. In fact we have won over 103 premierships in the 40 years from 1958 to 1998, of which 74 of these were First Division. We won 5 premierships in 1975 and have won four on six occasions. The number of players who have gone to grade ranks are numerous. Two of our players, Peter Bourke and Bill Bradstreet have been Australian Internationals. One of our Presidents went on to become President of Manly Warringah Junior League, the unforgettable Col Mills.